Why Winter Can Make You Sick
Almost daily you hear of troubling statistics on the spread of COVID-19, influenza, colds, pneumonia, strep throat, and a host of other communicable illnesses. Many of these viruses and pathogens particularly flourish in winter. But why?
Dry, Cold Air Is the Culprit
A John Hopkins Medicine report explains why flus, colds and other respiratory illnesses increase in colder months. “People are indoors more often, allowing viruses to pass more easily from one person to another,” the online article states. “And the cold, dry air may weaken resistance.”
Cold temps also slow the body’s ability to clear mucus from our noses, allowing viruses greater access to invade with infection. In winter months, many workplaces offer limited ventilation and crowded personal space. Because of indoor heating in winter, the drier air means fewer airborne water molecules are present to block viruses projected through coughing and sneezing. All of these health and environmental factors help everyday viruses and bugs thrive.
Your People Are Not Left Defenseless
Fortunately, your company and employees are not left defenseless this time of year. We’ve complied a number of practical helps for your people to stay healthy and productive during winter.
- Stay consistent with hand washing.
- Keep unclean fingers and hands away from your face.
- Encourage proper vaccinations.
- Practice respiratory etiquette—cough or sneeze into your elbow or a tissue and immediately wash your hands or use a 60% minimum alcohol hand sanitizer.
- Maintain higher relative humidity levels indoors.
- Stay balanced with solid nutrition, exercise, and sleep.
- Keep common workplace surfaces clean.
- Remain diligent about social distancing, keeping at least six feet from others.
- Wear a protective mask when appropriate.
Preventing wintertime illness in the workplace includes supporting and protecting people who are at higher risk for severe illness because of age or an underlying health condition. If any employee feels under the weather, the best decision is for the sick individual to stay home to avoid spreading germs to others. In some cases, remote working may be possible until the person is no longer contagious.
Your Company’s First Line of Protection
A thorough clean of your business prevents bacteria, germs, and viruses such as coronavirus, from spreading and derailing productivity. In today’s workplace war against pathogens, your company needs a professional, proven stand against wintertime illness. Midwest Maintenance is a cleaning industry leader in consistent janitorial services and specialized disinfecting services.
We know how vital it is to ensure your clients and employees stay healthy and safe. Our combined or ala carte services allow you to choose what is best for your facility and people. Some of our most comprehensive cleaning services include:
Routine Janitorial Cleaning
The systematic upkeep of flooring, dusting, vacuuming, and cleaning restrooms all combine to keep your business spotless and safe. Wiping down messy kitchen areas and restocking soaps and towels truly matters, but with the rise of invisible pathogens invading businesses. Midwest Maintenance has designed a suite of special disinfecting services.
Specialized Disinfecting Services
With our five decades of commercial janitorial expertise and our top-rated targeted cleaning — Midwest Maintenance continues to go above and beyond in following the EPA’s Emerging Viral Pathogen Guidance and other national and local health department protocols. We do not cut cleaning and sanitation corners that could put your business and people at risk.
Full Range of Customizable Disinfecting
When it comes to stopping illness in your company, we remain vigilant with our specialized disinfecting to keep every doorknob, light switch and bathroom stall free of infectious pathogens. Our full range of customizable disinfecting offerings includes:
- Touch Point Cleaning—Every common touch point from elevator buttons and door push bars to water fountains and stairwell handrails is disinfected.
- Day Porter—A Day Porter is an active presence in cleaning hot spots where germs collect while clients and employees are most active in the building.
- SWAT Team Detail Cleaning—This comprehensive cleaning disinfects every conceivable touch point in your company. Entire chairs and doors, keyboards, phone mouthpieces, photocopier load trays, mini blind handles and more.
- Air Scrubber—A triple-stage filtration system that removes 99.97% – 99.99% of offensive odors, dangerous airborne contaminants, gases, vapors, and mold.
- ULV Fogger/Mister—Ultra Low Volume (ULV) sprayer’s mist hangs in the air before settling on and disinfecting and deodorizing the objects in the room. Reduces or eliminates microorganisms such as viruses, bacteria, fungus, mold, and mildew.
- Electrostatic Technology—The Clorox® Total 360® electronic sprayers deliver a reliable atomization and particle size resulting in outstanding disinfecting wraparound coverage on all sides of target areas.
Our professional cleaning teams work tirelessly behind the scenes to ensure your work teams and customers will stay confidently healthy and safe this winter and all year long.
For your complimentary COVID-19, virus, and other illness prevention assessment of your business, we are ready to assist you. Just give us a call at 402.733.1114 or email us at email@example.com.