The upcoming colder months are prime outbreak season for winter viruses. As temperatures drop and people spend more time indoors, colds, flus and other respiratory illnesses break into a happy dance. The workplace is one of the most common environments for viruses to transmit from person to person. Fortunately, the commercial cleaning services of Midwest Maintenance are stocked up and prepared for whatever contagions want to disrupt the country’s businesses.
Public health officials are predicting a potentially rough 2022-2023 flu season in the United States after two seasons of lower-than-average cases. The National Foundation of Infectious Disease (NFID) notes that annually the flu alone costs U.S. employers and businesses $11.2 billion. While influenza viruses are detected year-round, fall through spring is considered flu season, with December through February when flu activity peaks. The flu is just one of several contagious illnesses to fight against at work and in public venues such as arenas, restaurants, convention centers and government buildings.
COMMON WINTER VIRUSES
Viruses spread via the air through respiratory droplets when people breath, sneeze, cough or talk in close contact with others. Plus, almost all viruses are transmitted through touching contaminated surfaces and objects. The shared office copier, coffee pot, microwave, refrigerator and elevator buttons are some of the top culprits in spreading illnesses at work.
Here are some common winter viruses that are often transmitted through touch:
- Viral rhinitis (cold) The most common infectious winter illness, the cold lasts about a week with symptoms of stuffy/runny nose, sore throat, cough, sneezing and mild fever.
- Influenza (flu) This viral infection lasts from three to seven days. Symptoms include muscle aches, fever, headache, dry cough, sore throat, runny nose and fatigue.
- Strep throat This Streptococcus bacterial infection can last several days but can be easily treated with antibiotics. Symptoms include sore throat, trouble swallowing, fever and stomachache.
- Norovirus Very contagious, this virus is spread primarily by touching contaminated surfaces. Symptoms include nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.
- Bronchitis With this respiratory condition, the airways in the lungs become inflamed resulting in coughing, often with mucus. Bronchitis can be acute (short-term) or chronic (long-term).
- Pneumonia This lung infection caused by a virus or bacteria can last several weeks. Antibiotics can treat bacterial pneumonia. Symptoms include cough, high fever, sweating, chills, chest pain, shortness of breath, fatigue, nausea, vomiting or diarrhea.
- COVID-19 The SARS-COV-2 coronavirus infects people with a wide range of symptoms including fever, muscle or body aches, cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, headache, congestion or runny nose, sore throat, fatigue, loss of taste or smell, nausea, vomiting or diarrhea.
ON THE FOREFRONT OF ILLNESS PREVENTION
Fall is the time for companies to evaluate their cleaning protocols and partner closely with their professional cleaning services team to double-down on winter viruses to keep employees, customers, vendors and guests safe and healthy. The cleaning and disinfecting industry is ever on the forefront of keeping America healthy and productive.
The best line of cleaning and sanitizing protection starts with consistent cleaning and janitorial services that specialize in disinfecting. At Midwest Maintenance, we offer a multi-layered approach to comprehensive virus and illness protection. Our industry-leading special disinfecting services feature:
- Touchpoint cleaning
- Highly trained day porters
- SWAT team detailed cleaning
- Ultra-low volume fogging
- Clorox® Total 360® electrostatic spraying
To fight against the unpredictable viruses and bacteria in wintertime—and any season—we meticulously follow professional cleaning standards established by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA). We leave no cleaning protection to chance, whether we are sanitizing restroom surfaces, desktops or entire rooms.
WE ARE HERE FOR YOU
Our commercial cleaning services professionals offer several sanitizing options to disinfect and purify your workplace environment. Let’s work together this winter to keep everyone who enters your facility illness-free. To learn more about customized cleaning services for your business, visit midwestinc.net or give us a call for a free estimate at 1.866.866.5850.